Saturday, May 31, 2008

Healthy Americans Act

I mentioned Senator Ron Wyden's health care plan. It has a page on Wyden's website Stand Tall for America with a cute little video extolling the benefits of greater portability.



As I said, the idea has Republican support. Republican co-sponsors include Judd Gregg, Chuck Grassley, Norm Coleman, Mike Crapo, Lamar Alexander, and Bob Corker. I heard our own Sen. Isakson describe it favorably recently. I'm not sure if he is ready to put his name on it, but he definitely hinted at support.

P.S. Mr. Wyden, do you have something against those of us who don't stand so tall?

3 comments:

DJ Toluene said...

Sounds like a good plan to me. I don't like the fact that people have to get health coverage though. I'm also a little concerned about what they call "compassionate, high-quality end-of-life care". Sounds a lot like Logan's Run.

It's a lot like McCain's plan.
Is this the plan Obama supports?

Brian said...

No. Obama does not attempt to end employer-provided health insurance. Obama's idea is to allow people to join a national public healthcare plan as an alternative to a private health plan.

He would not require anyone to get coverage. Hillary criticized him for not requiring coverage. I see her point, but Obama worried that you couldn't get enough support in Congress for a mandate.

Obama's policy is not universal in requiring coverage. It's universal in that anyone who wants coverage can afford it.

Brian said...

I share your concern about requiring coverage.