Monday, July 28, 2008

Patriotism Differs Between Conservatives and Liberals

This article by Peter Beinart is a pretty good attempt at describing the difference:

What both campaigns understand is that American patriotism wears two faces: a patriotism of affirmation, which appeals more to conservatives, and a patriotism of dissent, particularly cherished by liberals. Both brands are precious, and both are dangerous. And in this campaign, the candidate who embodies the best of both will probably win.
I agree that I tend to think dissent more patriotic than affirmation. However, while Beinart tries to be very evenhanded, I don't agree with some of the other characterizations of liberal patriotism.

A liberal patriot is fully capable of recognizing past American greatness, but there is also something conservative about not needing that belief in American greatness to be patriotic. My country doesn't have to earn my patriotism by being perfect or sufficiently great.

And liberal patriotism can distinguish Americans from others with the same values and American interests from foreign interests. There is value in moral duty to your community.

Here are the primary sources of my patriotism:
  1. American ideals embodied in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution and expressed by others throughout the years.
  2. Past American social, economic, and military accomplishments.
  3. My family and friends are Americans, and the future of myself and my family depends upon American success.
The second and third sources on the list may be classified as conservative patriotism by Beinart, but they are perfectly compatible with liberal patriotism.

No comments: